I’m Erik Yuzwa, a full stack web developer, gamer and small business owner in Calgary, Alberta.
I started this website at some point, to blog and share my software experiences from the 10+ years that I’ve been at this.
I started with the web when IE3, Netscape Communicator and Cold Fusion were the hotness! Geocities and Angelfire ftw.
It’s gone through several iterations through the years, and on different blogging software platforms,
which does sometimes make content migration — tricky.
I’ve got Google Analytics on this site, but merely to track what articles are resonating. If you’ve got ad blockers
on, no problem at all. I totally respect that.
Around the web
- 1974 – Born in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia baby! East Coast Canadian #confirmed.
- 1975 – My family heads West (life is peaceful there) to Sherwood Park, Edmonton - house with a swimming pool? yes please!
- 1980 - Dad gets new work in Calgary – down to Calgary we go into phase 1 of a community called Edgemont…
- 1985 - While at Junior High I’m over at a friends and discover this new RPG called “Ultima IV”. Hooked4Life.
- 1988 - Ultima V is released. Was lucky to have an AppleIIe in my room.
- 1990 - Ultima VI, but my 386 could barely run it. Wasn’t too happy with the switch to isometric 3D.
- 1992 - Ultima VII: The Black Gate, Wolfenstein 3D, Clouds of Xeen and Dune II in the same year. Ultima 7 never could run on my machine, but the slide show intro was neat. How did I finish any homework?
- 1996 - Blizzard releases Warcraft II. Took a while to grow on me UNTIL we rigged up a token ring LAN with Kali! OMG!
- 1999 - Finish and graduate from University of Calgary with a Comp Sci degree. Founded Wazoo Enterprises Inc. for web development consulting. Ultima IX is released and is an EA dumpster fire.
- 2001 - Survived Y2K without planes falling from the sky (yay!). Pitched and taught an adult class on PC games programming at the UofC.
- 2006 - (January) Pitched and authored Game Programming in C++: Start to Finish with Charles River Media. Good lesson in reality of authoring.
- 2006 - (August) Picked up and finished off another manuscript in progress - Learn C++ By Making Games also with Charles River Media.
- 2007 - Realized far too late why book authors go on tour.
- 2019 - The adventure continues…